Sunday, January 11, 2009

I Heart New York.


It's been several weeks since I've been in New York City and I am still going through withdrawal. I've always heard people say that NYC is the greatest city on Earth, but I just assumed it was just a very pop-centric thing to say. There couldn't be any merit. A city is a city, is a city, is a city. Well wasn't I wrong. 

As soon as I stepped onto 8th avenue after the 10 hour bus ride, I felt a connection with everything that was around me. The buildings, the people, the yellow cabs, and the pizza. Everything felt like there was an electric pulse running through it, and the static energy was built up around me. I have never been so fascinated by walking down random city streets. Everything had a story. 

New York City is the advertising capital of the world. It's home to all of the top agencies, and of course the world famous Time Square. I thought that in this day and age, advertising would blanket that city like a horny ghost. That wasn't the case at all. Advertising was certainly present, but it seemed as if it was toned down. As if those in charge had to much for respect for the beauty of New York to tarnish its image for the schilling of a new soft drink. With the advertising not being right in your face, it was more impactful. The message had respect for itself, the city, and the viewers. Each billboard instantly achieved cultural acceptance once its plastered to the sky. How can something synonymous with New York City ever fail? Well... I guess there is always the Knicks.

I'm headed to 37th and Broadway. Anyone want to split a cab?   

1 comment: