Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The following blog is rated G


Movie posters are rarely considered a part of advertising for some reason, at least when I hear discussions about different media. How a movie poster differs from a transit shelter or a billboard is beyond me. They are an excellent way to build awareness about a film, and also offer a great addition to the creativity of a flick. It does much more than just state the release date. It can build suspense, or perhaps offer a lasting image in someone's mind that the movie trailer can't provide.

From what I understand, movie posters are created in-house by the production studio, much like the movie trailers. This is smart, because if I made a film, I wouldn't want a person with a different vision trying to sum it up in 2 minutes. Fact of the matter is, in the near future I can see trailers and posters becoming another skill set of advertising agencies. With factual research, they'll be able to decipher just what it is about a movie that makes people want to see it. It goes beyond impressive visual effects. There's a single hook. Who better to find it then an advertiser?

No comments:

Post a Comment